NOUVEL ENSEMBLE MODERNE (NEM)
CALL FOR COMPOSITIONS
DEADLINE: 31 OCTOBER 2009
The Nouvel Ensemble Moderne (NEM), directed by Lorraine Vaillancourt, is pleased to announce its 10th international Forum for young composers, combining for the first time music and video art. Forum 2010 will take place in Montreal in collaboration with the Université de Montréal Faculty of Music and Vidéographe.
Registration Deadline : October 31st, 2009
All composers under the age of 30 are invited to submit before October 31, 2009 on CD or DVD :
1. A work for chamber orchestra or large ensemble
2. A work of their own choice with ou without video medium
The International Jury of Forum 2010 will meet in December 2009 to select eight composers from any country.
The eight selected composers will have to choose one video art (10 minutes) of the four available on the website of the NEM www.lenem.ca from January 2010. Afterwards they will have to write a new piece for the 15 musicians of the Nouvel Ensemble Moderne (fl, ob, cl1, cl2, bs, tp, horn, tb, vl1, vl2, vla, cello, db, pn, pc). The conductor score as well as the individual parts of these new works must reach Forum 2010 by August 31st, 2010.
The eight composers will be invited to a 3-weeks worshop with the NEM (rehearsals, recording and preparation of the closing evening) at the University of Montreal Faculty of Music from November 8th to 26th, 2010. This workshop will lead the composers to work directly and daily with the orchestra and its conductor Lorraine Vaillancourt. Forum 2010 will cover the costs of accommodation. The composers will assume travel costs from their countries of residence. (Forum 2010 will endorse any requests for travel grants to the country of residence). These works will be recorded on DVD on November 24th and 25th, 2010. An international jury will attend the closing evening in Montreal on November 26th. At the conclusion of the evening, four prizes will be awarded : 1st prize : $3000, 2nd prize : $2000, 3rd prize : $1500 and audience prize : $1000.
Forum 2010’s advertisement campaign and press relations will ensure that the event is widely advertised.
1. Composers must be under the age of 30 by the entry deadline, October 31st, 2009. Candidates must provide proof of citizenship or immigration and proof of age.
2. Composers may not submit more than two works. Any other work will not be considered.
3. Entry form must reach Forum 2010 by October 31st, 2009. The international jury strongly recommends that the scores be accompanied by a recording (CD or DVD).
4. The NEM shall not be held responsible for lost or damaged submissions.
5. By submitting their entries, participants automatically accept the above terms.
FORUM 2010 / MUSIC & VIDEO ART
c/o Nouvel Ensemble Moderne
200, avenue Vincent-d’Indy
C.P. 6128, succursale Centre-Ville
Montréal (Québec) H3C 3J7
Tel: +1 514-343-5962 / fax: +1 514-343-2443