SIBELIUS ACADEMY - HELSINKI, FINLAND
20 - 22 MAY 2010
CALL FOR PAPERS AND PRESENTATIONS
An interdisciplinary symposium organized by Sibelius Academy, The Doctoral School of Music, Theatre and Dance, and Finnish Musicological Society, 20th- 22nd of May 2010. Helsinki, Finland.
The Choir is an international symposium whose focus is on the particular meanings and practices embedded in the choir throughout history, as reflected in various forms of art and strands of research. The symposium is open to both scholarly presentations and demonstrations grounded in artistic, as well as pedagogical practice.
The main themes addressed in the symposium are the following:
- Meanings and functions allotted to the choir in different phases of history
- Multi-faceted ontology of ”the choir” as situated between art, on the one hand, and society and religion on the other
- Politics of the choir
- What hypothesis – or conclusions – are there to be drawn from the particularly flexible nature of the choir, its fascinating and often simultaneous permanence and change?
- What is the position and meaning of the choir in today’s art forms?
- Choir as a cultural domain
- Choir as a musical medium
- Choirs on/as stage
- Re-inventing choir?
- Choir and creative practice
- Choir and professionals
The deadline for submissions is October 15, 2009.
For inquiries, contact:
Prof. Anne Sivuoja-Gunaratnam
Tel: +358 40 7104287
Dr. Markus Mantere
Tel: +358 40 7104339