CALL FOR PAPERS
"You have just invented a new form of torture!"- Simon Cowell on an episode of American Idol.
We are currently soliciting chapter proposals for a volume on the phenomenon of Idol. Since the first series of Pop Idol was broadcasted in the UK in 2001, the television entertainment format has been produced in over fourty different countries. In every country the show has been locally appropriated resulting in local versions ranging from Pinoy Idol in the Philippines and Nouvelle Star in France to Ídolos Brazil in Brazil and Hay Superstar in Armenia. In some cases, the format was produced for entire geographic regions, such as Idols in the Anglophone West African countries with auditions in Botswana, Kenya, Malawi, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe, or the Pan-Arab version Super Star, featuring contestants from a.o., Lebanon, Syria, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Algeria, Tunisia, and Morocco. The show has proven to be one of the most popular and successful formats in recent television history.
So far, academic contributions on the television show are scarce. For this volume we welcome contributions from various disciplines that shed some more light on the immense popularity of the television format, the cultural meaning and/or any other aspect of the talent contest.
Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
* Idol as television entertainment format and/or genre
* The history of Idols and its’ precursors, i.e., earlier television talentshows
* X factor and other spin-offs
* Idol, fabricated talent and matters of authenticity
* Idol as a synergistic multimedia platform
* Globalization, localization, glocalization or cultural hybridity in Idol
* Idol as a form of career entry
* The politics of identity in Idol
* Social cohesion and expressions of nationality in Idol
* Idol Fan-cultures, including fanzines or fanwebsites
Those interested in submitting a paper are requested to firstly submit a brief proposal (250 words) by December 15, 2008 Please e-mail your proposal to:
Robert Burnett (Karlstad University, Sweden): firstname.lastname@example.org